Другие материалы рубрики «English»
- Polish rock musician denied Belarusian visa
Dariusz Malejonek had his application for a Belarusian visa rejected because of his band's participation in a concert in Kyiv's Independence Square...
- Lukashenka urges diplomats to look for strategic partners worldwide
Diplomats should look for strategic partners in all regions of the world to enable Belarus to establish close economic ties similar to those it has with Venezuela...
- Lithuania to establish visa application centers in Belarus
- Uladzimir Makey to attend EU-Eastern Partnership ministerial meeting in Brussels on Tuesday
- Human rights defenders in Zhodzina, Rechytsa set to demonstrate in support of political prisoners
- Elderly Belarusian woman arrested by Egyptian border guards after fleeing Gaza violence
- Western sanctions against Russia may hit Belarus, economist warns
- German MP says that she is in favor of cooperation with Belarus but will not forget about political prisoners
- Slavyanski Bazar festival ends with gala concert in Vitsyebsk
- German embassy donates humanitarian aid to orphanage in Minsk
- Children lay flowers at monument to Yanka Kupala on his 132nd birth anniversary
- Paintings on display at Belarusian State Museum of History of Great Patriotic War
Russia to halt electricity deliveries to Belarus
Russia will cut off electricity deliveries to Belarus at 00:00 a.m. on June 29 for its failure to pay a $43-million debt, said a spokesperson for the Inter RAO electricity exporter on Tuesday morning, BelaPAN said.
“The due payment for electricity had not been made before 8:30 a.m. on June 28,” the spokesperson told Russia’s news agency RIA Novosti. “In this respect… we will fully halt electricity deliveries to Belarus at 00:00 a.m. (Moscow time) on June 29. We expect our Belarusian partners to settle the debt and make the next payment in full.”
On June 21, Inter RAO gave Belarus until June 27 to pay the funds owed for deliveries in April and May, threatening to suspend electricity exports to the country.
The suspension will be in line with the Russian supplier`s contract and supplementary agreements with Belarus` national power utility DVA Belenerha, said an Inter RAO spokesperson. "A trading company cannot supply electricity on credit."
Speaking in St. Petersburg two days later, Belarusian Prime Minister Mikhail Myasnikovich said that Belarus would repay in full its debt to Inter RAO until June 28.
On June 9, Inter RAO cut in half electricity exports to Belarus because of its failure to pay $54 million in outstanding bills for deliveries in March and April.
Following talks held the next day by Belenerha Director General Alyaksey Shyrma in Moscow, Inter RAO fully restored the export of electricity to Belarus on June 13.
Belenerha paid the first installment of the debt later that week.
Under a contract with Inter RAO, Belenerha is to buy from it three billion kilowatts of electricity this year.