Другие материалы рубрики «English»
- Lukashenka defends cautious stance on Crimea
Alyaksandr Lukashenka has defended his cautious reaction to the annexation of Ukraine's Crimea by Russia.
- Lukashenka claims that Yanukovych financed Right Sector
Viktor Yanukovych and his inner circle financed Right Sector, Alyaksandr Lukashenka claimed Friday in Minsk.
- Lukashenka modest about his role in Ukraine peace efforts
- Lukashenka acknowledges lack of state ideology in Belarus
- Opposition politician Marynich dies at 74
- Lukashenka hits out at Russia for its tax move
- There are between up to 30,000 Ukrainian refugees in Belarus, Lukashenka says
- Minsk hosts first-ever Belarusian-language sports festival
- Waste heaps in Belaruskali potash mining area
- Exhibition of Belarusian-grown grape in Minsk
- Minsk hosts Belarusian Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships
- Forest protection workers take to skies to detect wildfires
Group of Belarusian opposition leaders to visit USA
The leaders of three opposition parties, Vintsuk Vyachorka of the Belarusian Popular Front, Anatol Lyabedzka of the United Civic Party and Syarhey Kalyakin of the Belarusian Party of Communists, as well as Iryna Kazulin, the wife of imprisoned former presidential candidate Alyaksandr Kazulin, left for the United States on Sunday afternoon.
As Mr. Kalyakin had told BelaPAN, during the visit, the delegation would have meetings with members of both chambers of the US Congress, Department of State officials, and representatives of non-governmental organizations. "Our main task is to tell them about the present situation in Belarus," Mr. Kalyakin said. "We'll also discuss the USA's possible influence on processes that are taking place in Belarus. There are opportunities, including diplomatic ones, to exert influence on the Belarusian government."
According to Mr. Kalyakin, they would suggest that the United States, the European Union and Russia should cooperate to develop a common policy regarding Belarus. "We would like this policy to be aimed at making Belarus a full member of the democratic community of states and a rule-of-law and rapidly developing nation," he said.
The trip is to last until March 5. //BelaPAN