Другие материалы рубрики «English»
- Bruce Bucknell. Remember Crimea
A year ago, the Kremlin helped stage an illegal and illegitimate “referendum” in Crimea that culminated in Russia annexing Crimea from Ukraine...
- High-ranking EU official meets with Belarusian civil society activists
Helga Schmid, deputy secretary general at the European External Action Service, met with representatives of Belarus’ civil society in Minsk.
- Смертник напал на штаб миротворцев ООН в Мали
- Biathlon Youth and Junior World Championships draw to close near Minsk
- US State Department’s envoy to visit Belarus this week
- Lukashenka meets with EEAS deputy secretary general
- EU foreign ministers, Brussels officials expected to visit Minsk soon
- Revelers in Minsk celebrate end of Butter Week
- Leaders of France, Germany, Russia, Ukraine arrive in Minsk for summit on Ukraine crisis
- United Kingdom’s Visa Application Center in Minsk moves into permanent office
- Minsk residents paying tribute to victims of Charlie Hebdo massacre in Paris
- Minsk adorned by New Year illumination
Group of Belarusian opposition leaders to visit USA
The leaders of three opposition parties, Vintsuk Vyachorka of the Belarusian Popular Front, Anatol Lyabedzka of the United Civic Party and Syarhey Kalyakin of the Belarusian Party of Communists, as well as Iryna Kazulin, the wife of imprisoned former presidential candidate Alyaksandr Kazulin, left for the United States on Sunday afternoon.
As Mr. Kalyakin had told BelaPAN, during the visit, the delegation would have meetings with members of both chambers of the US Congress, Department of State officials, and representatives of non-governmental organizations. "Our main task is to tell them about the present situation in Belarus," Mr. Kalyakin said. "We'll also discuss the USA's possible influence on processes that are taking place in Belarus. There are opportunities, including diplomatic ones, to exert influence on the Belarusian government."
According to Mr. Kalyakin, they would suggest that the United States, the European Union and Russia should cooperate to develop a common policy regarding Belarus. "We would like this policy to be aimed at making Belarus a full member of the democratic community of states and a rule-of-law and rapidly developing nation," he said.
The trip is to last until March 5. //BelaPAN