Другие материалы рубрики «English»
Presidential election set for October 11
The House of Representatives of the Belarusian National Assembly unanimously voted Tuesday to set October 11 as the date for a presidential election.
Human rights groups condemn European Olympic Committees for “sportswashing” human rights abuses in Azerbaijan
The coalition also condemns EOC President Patrick Hickey for praising the Azerbaijani leader, Ilham Aliyev.
- Karatkevich seeking to stage three demonstrations in Minsk on July 15
- Top election official expresses hope that coming presidential election campaign will not be boring
- Yarmoshyna pledges to try to give foreign election observers no cause for criticism
- Tatsyana Karatkevich set to collect 120,000 ballot-access signatures
- Quarter of adult Belarusians are smokers, official statisticians say
- Rescuers stage massive exercise at sports center in Minsk
- Revelers in Minsk celebrate end of Butter Week
- Leaders of France, Germany, Russia, Ukraine arrive in Minsk for summit on Ukraine crisis
- United Kingdom’s Visa Application Center in Minsk moves into permanent office
- Minsk residents paying tribute to victims of Charlie Hebdo massacre in Paris
BelaPAN’s statement on blockage of its websites
The IP addresses of BelaPAN’s websites belapan.by, belapan.com and naviny.by were blocked on December 20.
It is still unknown who did that and for what reason. However, it is clear that the decision to block the ID addresses could only be made by authorities as in Belarus the government has monopoly on providing IP addresses.
BelaPAN had not received any official warning or notification about the coming blockage.
The new amendments to the Media Law, which allow the blockage of websites, will come into force only on January 1, 2015. In this regard we view the blockage of the IP addresses of BelaPAN as a gross infringement of freedom of expression and media freedom in Belarus.
We are taking all possible measures to obtain exhaustive information from government agencies as to who made the decision to block our websites and on what grounds.