Другие материалы рубрики «English»
- Prosecutor general defends death penalty
Opponents of the death penalty have resumed their “wailing” after the imposition of new death sentences...
- Russia to supply 5.75 million tons of oil to Belarus in Q3
An agreement to this effect was reached by Belnaftakhim’s head, Ihar Zhylin, and Russian Deputy Energy Minister Kirill Molodtsov as a result of talks on June 13 and 14...
- National Bank head does not rule out rubel redenomination next year
- Belarus-EU trade reported down 28.7 percent in first four months of 2013
- Haydukow’s charge may be changed
- Migration authorities continue to conceal Bakieyevs’ status
- United Civic Party’s youth wing denied registration
- Campaign of solidarity with political prisoners launched in Minsk
- Femen activists in Kyiv stage topless protest against Lukashenka’s visit
- Belarusian foreign minister meets with OSCE media freedom representative
- Fire art festival in Minsk
- Some 3,000 motorcyclists descend on Brest for annual festival
Homyel government denies that its head has been arrested
The Homyel City Executive Committee has denied a report by web portal tut.by that Viktar Pilipets, head of the city government, has been arrested on a corruption charge.
The report posted by web portal tut.by on August 6 is false, the Committee says in an official statement. Mr. Pilipets will go back to work on August 7 upon completion of his leave of absence, the statement adds.
According to tut.by, rumors about the arrest of Mr. Pilipets circulated for a week.
The 49-year-old Pilipets was rumored to be suspected of involvement in a scam that saw officials of the city construction department sell apartments to their family members and colleagues at prices several times lower than their market value.
It was reported in late July that four top-ranking officials of the construction department had been arrested by the KGB on a charge of power abuse.
According to the KGB, in 2011, they illegally sold 25 apartments in four residential buildings constructed for individuals whose houses were slated for demolition.
Spokespersons for the Homyel regional offices of the KGB and the Investigative Committee told BelaPAN earlier on Monday that they did not have information about the arrest of Mr. Pilipets.
Anatol Chystsik, who was appointed first deputy head of the Homyel City Executive Committee less than a month ago, will perform the functions of Mr. Pilipets until his return. //BelaPAN